Sunday, February 10, 2008

Mayor Daley, Personal Buffer, Illegal Activities

I saw this on Newsalert tonight. From a book by disgraced city clerk James Laski. Here's a brief excerpt from Michael Sneed...

• • Daley schmooze: In his book, Laski claims Daley invited him into his private City Hall conference room and asked if he'd heard "from anybody down the street." -- Hizzoner's reference to the feds -- during a probe of alleged time-sheet fraud at City Hall.

• • The upshot: When Laski said, "No!" Daley offered to give him some advice.

• • Quoth Laski: "He spoke quietly as if we were being bugged. He told me, in a very serious tone of voice, that, in order to survive in this business, I had to have a buffer.

"At that point, he reminded me of Captain Queeg in The Caine Mutiny, when he warned me that everyone would be trying to get me, especially the press.

"He basically told me that I needed someone to protect me, and that where the buck would stop, everything would end there with that person.

"In my opinion, Daley was forever surrounding himself with his own personal buffers.

"Even today, I still hear the Mayor, over and over, pleading ignorance about the latest Chicago political scandal.

"I was in government service for about twenty-seven years, sixteen of those as an elected official, and, in my opinion, the mayor knows everything that goes on in City Hall."
Check out these websites from Sneed's column with regards to Laski's book.

From the publisher, Author House. And Laski's website, My Fall From Grace. The book itself is titled, My Fall from Grace: City Hall to Prison Walls.

3 comments:

Anonymous,  5:31 PM  

Mayor Schultz still knows nothing!

Anonymous,  6:19 PM  

Everyone knows who the Mayor's buffers are:
Jeremiah "Jerry the Big Potato" Joyce
Tim "the degenerate gambler" Degnan

Victor "the Hog" Reyes

Anonymous,  9:39 PM  

Where I come from, just a little bit north of chinatown--what we called everything from 21st to jimbos-- just to annoy them--"getting a buffer" means something quite different than what Laski assumed. Interesting the names Josefina threw out as "buffers" I would never have guessed--but hey, its a free world, and who's to judge what peoples preferences are.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP